Asparagus Phyllo Bake Recipe
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 16 sheets phyllo dough (14×9 inches)
- In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Add asparagus; cook, uncovered, 30 seconds or just until asparagus turns bright green. Remove asparagus and immediately drop into ice water. Drain and pat dry. In a large bowl, mix eggs, cheeses and seasonings; stir in almonds and asparagus.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Brush a 13×9-in. baking dish with some of the butter. Unroll phyllo dough. Layer eight sheets of phyllo in prepared dish, brushing each with butter. Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.
- Spread ricotta mixture over phyllo layers. Top with remaining phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter. Cut into 12 rectangles. Bake 50-55 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 12 servings.
Note: To toast nuts, spread in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 5-10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Or, spread in a dry nonstick skillet and heat over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.