Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Bars Recipe
- 40 Saltine crackers (one sleeve about)
- 1 Cup salted butter (don’t substitute)
- 1 Cup brown sugar
- 1 12 ounce package of chocolate chips
- 5-6 Heath bars, crunched up for topping
1) Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
2) Then layer in crackers. Make sure that they don’t overlap.
3) Melt the butter in a saucepan and then stir in the brown sugar. Once it starts bubbling, turn the heat to medium-low and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir continuously or it might burn.
4) Once it has simmered for a few minutes, pour it straight on the crackers. Try to get it kind of even, but don’t worry about covering everything.
5) Next, stick your baking sheet in the oven at 325 degrees for 5-10 minutes. The original recipe called for 5 minutes, but mine took 10. Basically, you want the caramel to spread out nicely over the crackers. It should bubble a bit.
6) When you take it out of the oven, pour the chocolate chips on the tray right away. The residual heat from the oven will be more than enough to melt the chocolate. Let it sit for 5 minutes to melt.
7) Meanwhile, crumble up some heath bars.
8) After 5 minutes, use a spatula to spread out the chocolate and make the chips flat. Then sprinkle on the Heath pieces.
9) Then just stick this whole thing in the freezer! You have to make sure you give this stuff time to freeze solid. I let mine sit for about 4 hours in there and that was more than enough time.
10) Then take it out and if the brickle is rock hard, flip it over and peel of the foil which should come off in one full sheet!
11) Then just bust the stuff up! Take out some aggression! One note though… make sure you take the foil off before you break it up. That is, unless your idea of a good time is peeling hundreds of tiny foil pieces off of candy.
12) Store this stuff in the freezer. It will keep for a month.