Curried Lentil-Tomato Soup
- 4 center-cut bacon slices
- 1 1/2 cups chopped sweet onion (1 onion)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble. Add onion and garlic to drippings in pan; sauté 3 minutes. Transfer onion mixture to a 4-quart electric slow cooker. Stir in broth and next 7 ingredients (through tomatoes). Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Stir in half-and-half and sherry. Ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with crumbled bacon.