(yields approximately 24 empanadas)
» 2lbs, Ground Venison
» 1Tbsp Minced Garlic
» 1 Cup Small Diced Spanish Onion ½ Cup Minced Scallion (green and white of scallion)
» ¾ Cup Slivered Almonds Toasted
» 1 Cup Chopped Green Olives (eg. Picholine)
» ½ Cup Rough Chopped Cilantro
» ½ Cup Tomato Paste
» 2 Tsp Ground Corriander
» 1 Cup Small Diced Sweet Green Peppers
» 1 Minced Jalapeno; seeds removed
» Olive Oil
» Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Heat large sauté pan or cast iron skillet over med-high heat.
2. Use enough olive oil to moderately coat surface of pan.
3. Sauté onions, garlic, both peppers until tender and transparent.
4. Add ground venison, coriander; sauté to brown meat.
5. Add tomato paste, olives, almonds and fresh cilantro.
6. Sautee several minutes to blend and mildly brown tomato paste.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Adjust spice (coriander/cilantro/s&p) at this time.
9. Remove from heat to cookie sheet and cool in refrigerator.
Empanada Dough Ingredients
» 3 Cups All-Purpose flour
» ¼ tsp salt
» 6 oz unsalted butter (1 ½ sticks); cold and cut into small cubes
» 1 egg
» 5 Tbsp water
1. Mix flour and salt in food processor.
2. Add egg, butter and water.
3. Process until clumpy dough forms.
4. Remove from processor; shape into ball; wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour.
5. Roll dough on lightly floured surface into thin sheet.
6. Cut 4” circles using cookie cutter or trace the bottom of a glass with a sharp knife.
Preheat oven to 350°
» 1 egg
» 1 Tbsp water
1. Mix egg and water together.
2. Place 2 oz of meat-filling in the center of dough disc.
3. Brush perimeter of disc with prepared egg wash.
4. Fold disc over; press edges with fork to seal.
5. Place on Cookie Sheet lined with parchment paper.
6. Bake approximately 20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.