Making pizza at home is a fun and rewarding experience. It’s also a great way to save money and customize your pizzas to your liking. Here is a guide to making pizza at home:
- 1 cup of warm water (105°F to 115°F)
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil, plus more for greasing the bowl
- 2 1/4 teaspoons of salt
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups of all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting the work surface
- Your favorite pizza toppings
- In a large bowl, combine the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Let stand for 5 minutes, until the yeast is foamy.
- Add the olive oil, salt, and 2 cups of flour. Stir until a dough forms.
- Gradually add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough for 5-10 minutes, until it is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a damp kitchen towel. Let the dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F.
- Punch down the dough and divide it in half. Roll out each half of dough into a 12-inch circle.
- Place the dough on a lightly greased baking sheet. Top with your favorite pizza toppings.
- Bake the pizza for 10-12 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let the pizza cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
- For a crispier crust, preheat a baking stone in the oven for at least 30 minutes before baking the pizza.
- If you don’t have a baking stone, you can bake the pizza on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- To prevent the toppings from making the crust soggy, brush the crust with a light coating of olive oil before adding the toppings.
- Feel free to experiment with different toppings. Some classic combinations include pepperoni and mozzarella, sausage and peppers, and vegetables.
- Make sure to let the pizza cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving. This will allow the cheese to set and the toppings to settle.