Spinach pie is a classic Greek dish that is both delicious and nutritious. It is made with a flaky phyllo dough filled with spinach, feta cheese, and herbs. The pie is then baked until the phyllo dough is golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbly.
Spinach pie is a great way to get your daily dose of vegetables. It is also a good source of protein and calcium. The feta cheese gives the pie a salty and tangy flavor, while the herbs add a touch of freshness.
Spinach pie is a perfect dish for any occasion. It can be served as a main course or as a side dish. It is also great for potlucks and picnics.
Here is a recipe for spinach pie:
- 1 package (1 pound) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 (17.3 ounce) package phyllo dough, thawed according to package directions
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg and cook for 1 minute more.
- Stir in the thawed spinach, feta cheese, parsley, and mint.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a small bowl. Brush the melted butter over one side of each phyllo sheet.
- Place one phyllo sheet, buttered side down, in a 9×13 inch baking dish. Spread half of the spinach mixture over the phyllo sheet. Top with another phyllo sheet, buttered side down. Spread the remaining spinach mixture over the phyllo sheet.
- Roll up the phyllo dough jelly-roll style, starting from the long side. Brush the top of the roll with the remaining melted butter.
- Cut the roll into 12 slices. Place the slices in the prepared baking dish.
- Brush the top of the pie with the egg wash.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the phyllo dough is golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbly.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.