Sweet Potato Ginger Cookies
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato (1 medium sweet potato)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Wrap a medium-sized sweet potato in foil and roast at 400 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes (until the potato feels very soft). When cool enough to handle, mash the sweet potato flesh with a fork and set aside.
- Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a mixer, cream the sugar and butter until smooth.
- Add the sweet potato puree, ground ginger, orange zest, and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Add the egg and mix just until incorporated
- Slowly incorporate the flour mixture into the wet mixture just until the dough forms.
- On a parchment-lined or lightly oiled baking sheet, drop spoonfuls of dough.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until the edges are golden brown.